I made a few soups this year that required a poached chicken (only because I wanted the chicken to have that shredded texture). One was Chicken Tortilla Soup and the other Chicken Rice Soup. Poaching is also good for making Enchiladas, Chicken Tacos or even just chicken sandwiches. It keeps the chicken full of moisture & flavor as well as making it easier to chew.
1) Season the chicken with any spices you like: pepper, salt, oregano, paprika, garlic, etc.
2) Place chicken in a pot where it can be in one layer and cover with chicken broth or water (less flavor this way).
3) Bring the liquid to a boil and then simmer for 10-15 minutes. You can check the internal temperature with a thermometer if you like.
4) Let the chicken sit with the heat off for an additional 10 minutes.
5) Save the broth for your soup and place the chicken on a plate to cool for 5-10 minutes.
6) Use a fork to pull at the chicken and create shreds. You can also use your fingers to "fine tune" your work.
Enjoy! Let me know how it goes or if you have any questions, post a comment below.
Please share with your friends!
Chicken Breast post-poachingChicken Tortilla Soup